G'day Mates!

G'day Mates!

Monday, October 4, 2010

Port Arthur History

Tom and me touring the historic grounds of Port Arthur.
Port Arthur began in 1830 as a timber station but changed to a prison to contain difficult convicts in 1833. The average age of the prisoner was only 26 yrs old.

We also toured the tiny "Isle of the Dead" which
served as the official graveyard for over 2,000 convicts and free persons. This was a bit creepy!
This is what remains of the Port Arthur Gaol.
Back in the 1840's thousands and thousands of convicts were sent by boat from England.
Due to severe overcrowding the British sent many convicts to Tasmania

(known back then as Van Diemen's Island), even for petty theft like stealing a loaf of bread.

Part of the grounds on Port Arthur includes a big rock church built by the convicts themselves.

It really is a beautiful place but a very harsh life for those that were sent there for life!

Tom and me in the historic town of Richmond, in front of a stone bridge built by convicts of the Port Arthur Gaol in the 1840's.
We visited the oldest Roman Catholic Church in use in Australia - St. Johns.
It really was beautiful and fun to see all the stained glass work inside.



Here we are at one of the great places we ate at near Port Arthur.
We had lots of fun with Steve and Desi - never a dull moment!
We love Steve's sense of humor and quick wit.
The young Australian waiter had a lovely accent and was a really great bloke!
He actually brought me a full glass of ice for my water - that is a first!
I don't know what it is here, but usually I will get the water, but no ice.
I think they must want me to drink beer, wine, coffee or tea but water suits me just fine!









No comments:

Post a Comment